Bonalive® granules is a unique bone regeneration technology that naturally inhibits bacterial growth and stimulates bone formation.
The granules are a bone cavity filler intended for the resolution of bone infections, and for use in orthopedic, trauma, spine and mastoid surgery.
Bonalive® granules naturally inhibit bacterial growth of up to 50 clinically relevant bacteria strains, providing surgeons with a 1-stage osteostimulative* technology for bone infection treatment. Available in different sizes, the granules are designed to meet the needs of various surgical procedures.
Based on S53P4 bioactive glass, Bonalive® granules consist solely of elements naturally found in the human body. The granules naturally inhibit bacterial growth in both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, as well as Methicillin resistant bacteria, e.g. MRSA or MRSE.**
By supporting and facilitating the reconstruction of anatomical structures in the human body, the S53P4 bioactive glass gradually resorbs over time and is replaced by bone. This process can be post-operatively followed due to the granules’ radio-dense quality.
- Bone cavity filling
- Bone cavity filling in the treatment of chronic osteomyelitis
- Mastoid cavity obliteration
** Leppäranta et al. 2008; Munukka et al. 2008; Drago et al. 2013; Drago et al. 2014; Coraça-Huber et al. 2014.
Bonalive® granules should not be applied:
- In acute infected tissues including an acute exacerbation of chronic osteomyelitis.
- To replace structures that are subject to strong mechanical stress.
- In patients with acute traumatic injuries with open external wounds close to the defect, which are likely to become infected
- In patients that have received or are to receive chemo-therapy or radiation therapy at or near the implant site
- In patients with known allergy to bioactive glass
Similar to other bone grafting procedures, complications may include inadequate bone formation and/or recurrent infections in relation to chronic osteomyelitis. General complications that may arise from anesthesia and/or surgery include e.g. tenderness, redness, edema, seroma and hematoma, swelling and fluid collection in the operation area.
Unit size | Granule size
- 2.5 cc | 0.5-0.8 mm
- 5 cc | 0.5-0.8 mm
- 5 cc | 1.0-2.0 mm
- 10 cc | 1.0-2.0 mm
- 53% SiO2
- 23% Na2O
- 20% CaO
- 4% P2O5
- CE marked
- Class III medical device
- Available in different granule and unit sizes